Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Read any good people lately?

Rather than favorite books, I have favorite authors.  Here are a few I can think of at the moment: Barbara Kingsolver, David Sedaris, Larry McMurtry, John Irving, Marcus Zusak, Ayn Rand, Pat Conroy (Kathy, I know you're heaving right now.)  From reading more than just one or two of an author's works, not necessarily from a series, I think you can triangulate his or her personality fairly accurately. Of course, since I don't run in those elite circles, I haven't tested this theory, but I'm sticking to it.

What a way to meet new people, right?  Just find "F  Zus" in the Young Adult section of a library and you're in:  "Reader, I'd like you to meet Marcus Zusak.  Mr. Zusak, this is one of your readers. She'd like to know a little more about you."   Sometimes, real life introductions can be awkward, but what's simpler than reading a book?    When I want to connect, but I'm not feeling socially adept (maybe my filter's on the blink again, it happens),  I open a book.

2 comments:

  1. I love history books, especially those written by authors who can turn learning into an adventure, by blending dry facts with historical approximations of the daily lives of the people involved. Nathaniel Philbrick ("Mayflower", "Sea of Glory", etc...) and Mark Kurlansky ("Cod", "Salt", "The Big Oyster", etc...) are both very good at this.

    And for fiction, if you enjoy Nick Hornby, you might like Lisa Jewell ("Ralph's Party", "Thirtynothing", etc...) or Jennifer Egan ("Emerald City", Invisible Circus", etc...).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laurie,
    You are much better read than I am. Nora Roberts, Nicholas Sparks, James Patterson and LuAnn Rice are about as deep as I get. My favorite of all time is To Kill a Mockingbird which I have read many times. I have noticed that I tend to really enjoy books that take place in the south or southwest. I credit my mom with my love for reading. We had an afternoon "nap" every day before I started to school, and she always read to me before I fell asleep. Vicki

    ReplyDelete