Saturday, January 15, 2011

Leap years

August of last year, I took a leap. I can't even describe my decision process. I just held my nose, squeezed my eyes shut, and jumped into grad school with my knees gathered to my chest in the fetal position. Of course, I'm taking my family with me, as they patiently endure my evenings of studying and classes, and my absences from the dinner table. (I'm sure my 10 year old would've learned to use the oven eventually anyway, right?)

Tuesday starts Semester Number Two.  Out of eight. When I am done, my sweet Boy will be 12 and I will be 41. My inner brat did NOT want to register for classes. My inner brat likes to look at family photos on Facebook and chat with faraway friends. She also likes to take naps and make complicated dinners from scratch. After I'd explained salary schedules to her, she was a little more cooperative.  Also, we both love exploring new ideas, though without my discipline, it seems my inner brat would be lost :)

Educational Technology.  I'm expecting to grow more comfortable with using technology in my classroom, but not only for delivering content.  I want my students to consider their laptops just as standard to learning as they do pencils, crayons, and paper.  I want the novelty to be replaced with a comfort level that allows them to explore. We'll see.

Developmental Psychology.  It's been 18 years since I've had a psych class, a psych professor, psych assignments, blah blah blah.  I want this to be interesting, engaging, not just hard work.  We'll see.

That's what's up down here in Texas.  Hope this post finds all of you well and happy.
Laurie

1 comment:

  1. Good for you my friend!! I miss our FB chats but I'm sure it will be well worth it!! ROCK ON!!

    ReplyDelete